Thursday, May 12, 2005

Places that don't exist

Some of you will know that I’m taking a team to Moldova in September, a friend informed me of a programme that was on last night called ‘Holidays in the danger zone: Places that don’t exist’ This weeks episode was based in Moldova. I thought ill check it out, although did think who on earth would go on holiday to Moldova! It was amazing and so interesting- Basically the world recognises Moldova as an independent country but in Moldova there is actually a break away state called Trans-Dniester, which borders Ukraine. Trans-Dniester spilt from Moldova at the fall of the Soviet Union and still has statues of Lenin and Stalin in their cities and villages. Trans- Dniester has their own president, money, stamps, army and passports and is protected by Russia and there is a huge Russian military base there. It’s amazing we really have no idea what’s going on in the world. I love Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union really interests me- a book on the whole thing would make a great birthday present in a few weeks [hint hint!] My heart really did warm to the place when I was watching the programme can’t wait to go in September.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home