Friday, April 08, 2005

Tales from Khmelnitsky

The Ukrainian zoo was an experience but not like the over night train journey- no joke it was the most horrid night I have ever spent in Ukraine and thats taking into consideration a 27 hour bus journey in 2003! We arrived to the train to a tiny cabin about 6 feet by 5 feet, and all 4 of us are to sleep in it boys and girls! it was so hot! we were promised that the air con would be turned on when the train started but no the heat came on- there was heaters all around the cabin and outside along the hallway- the windows wouldnt open and we had all our stuff also crammed in! The men went straight to sleep- did I sleep? not a wink the train was so creeky and banging and jumping us up and down, left and right big jerks every few minutes. After a few hours i was ready to smash the window to get air that i decided to go in search for some- I opened a couple or doors until finially I had air the train worker had left the door to the outside open it was so nice and refreshing I knew rach g was still awake so I went and got her and out translator heard us from his cabin so came with us on an adventure through the cabins of the train in search for a seat with fresh air- after climbing through about 7-8 cars we found ourselves in the resturant car surrounded by drunk people and staff and got shouted at for trying to sleep at the table even though there was a number of people sleeping on the floor! so we bought a bottle of water to keep her sweet and sat for awhile in the cool. Then back to the cabin for a last minute attempt to sleep- it didnt work. By the way I will memtion that the toilets on the train were so bad if i didnt get out when i did i would have been gaging so much that I would have been sick! It was the horriblest stoilet smell ive heard in experienced- the second time round I stuck a wet wipe to my face so I couldnt smell the toilet! We arrived in Volochisk at 5am to a full 3 course meal from nella all i wanted to do was sleep- I ended up getting 3 hours sleep before going to Kmelnitsky! Just had a meeting about camps and a fun meeting they called it anyway were we just chatted- so good to see all my friends here... No going to down town khmelnitsky- I understand this may make no sence but I have not much time but SO much more I could write and many many stories to tell. Heres to Borsh and raisin porridage for breakfast! Slava Bogu

3 Comments:

At April 08, 2005 9:22 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

phew... sounds like you've come close to smelling our boys rooms...

 
At April 11, 2005 11:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only in Ukraine Kirk only in Ukraine! Glad to here ur lovin it! It's bringin back memories! Slava Bogu! fi xx

 
At April 14, 2005 12:09 am, Blogger emma said...

hahahahahahaha, think that's the funniest blog I have read in ages. I can just imagine you. Seriously funny stuff. OCD definitely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home