Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I did it!


All the pain and training paid off… On Monday morning I ran all 5 miles of my leg of the relay. I have to say was very pleased with myself. We had to get up at 6.30am get a good breakfast in us and be at Dave and Glens for 7.15am honestly in the car on the way down I was shatting myself at the prospect of it all! We arrived to St Georges market had a really good atmosphere about it all. We had to spilt up into the two’s we were running in: Dave and Charlie started the race handing on to Glen and Claire handing on to myself and Ross handing onto Nina and Laurence and Karen and SJ brought it home. We were all shipped off to our locations. Ross and I were starting at Gideon’s green out towards Jordanstown. We got off the bus and walked down to the change over point where there were no toilets- NOT good! Ross and I worked out that Glen and Claire would prob not be arriving for 2 hours so thought plenty of time to go to the toilets which were about a 15min walk away. Upon our return we were stopped by the police and were not allowed to go any further as they had found a suspicious device! The marathon had to be re routed and no one knew what was happening so the change over was confusing! We just had to stand at the side of the road and look out for Claire and Glen. [Taking it in turns to stand watch and go to the toilet!] Everyone thought the suspect device was a hoax but we found out on the news on the way home that it was a real pipe bomb! We were standing within 100 metres of it! It was a good day and again I’m so happy with myself for running it all plus got lots of freebies at the end! And raised approx £1000 for Ukraine and the community project in Ballynahinch. Did wake up in pain on Tuesday but for my beloved Ukraine it was all worth it!

5 Comments:

At May 04, 2005 6:05 pm, Blogger gary said...

Well done Rachel, it is good to hear that it went so well, I was begining to think that you had no energy left to write your blog. I hope the pain does not last too long.

 
At May 04, 2005 6:37 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Well done!! You've done something I'll never ..

 
At May 05, 2005 10:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next year it'll be the whole thing???eh??

 
At May 05, 2005 11:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm... not convinced about the whole thing next year but next on the list is the lisburn 10 k!

 
At May 05, 2005 5:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud of you Kirk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home