Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Contrast

Today I find myself sitting on the dentists chair thinking that just yesterday I was at a families home in Ukraine that had no electricity or running water and the woman’s job was milking 12 cows by hand 3 times a day and all of a sudden your thrown back into normal life in Northern Ireland- it’s all a bit crazy and the thing I find the hardest. Enjoyed my time in Ukraine apart from the surprises YFC gave me about the camps in the summer! Which gives me more work to do but had I not of gone to Ukraine I probably would not of found out until we arrived in July! Was great to see some old friends in Volochisk and people I work with in the summer.
Here’s to riding on a horse and cart [The horse is blocking me in the picture!], “when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie… that’s amorea”, the rides back again at the pizza place in Xhmelnitsky, the scratchy noise in my room, “When I was in Florence…”, Locking a member of our group in the toilets and thinking the person was going to break the door down before I could compose myself enough to tell them it was locked from the outside!, Pasha and Christina coming to church to see me, “Scusi”, getting chased by geese, taking part in 5 church services on Sunday and being told to give an on the spot kids talk, "I concur", receiving the biggest bug bite in history standing in a cow shed with Dave Graham asking every question about cows under the sun, "sing it again", getting stuck in a marsh, the heat, Randomers, Having mashed potatoes and sausage for breakfast and taking a laughing fit while singing Lord I lift your name on high.

You will not find this funny but I’d like to document as I found it hilarious: I said to a wee kid of about 5 who was dressed in smart shoes, black trousers and a pin strip shirt, that I liked his shirt he turned and said through the translator “I have 2 more t-shirts at home” and ran off – Yeah I know you had to be there! Not even going to try and explain why it was funny. [The wee kid is top left in picture]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home