Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Much physical pain and a red face

Yesterday marked the 25th Belfast Marathon. I was part of a Tearfund team and ran the final leg also known as the Glory run. It was 4.9 miles. This is the biggest physical challenge I have ever endured! I did it last year but only ran 4.3 miles and was a lot fitter and by fitter I mean not even that fit! Last year I could run 3.5 miles easily enough this year just about 2 miles. Really didn’t think I’d be able to do it. But I just kept running basically just to see how far I could go. I told myself if I can get to the top of the Ormeau Road I’ll do it all and that’s all I kept thinking about until I got to the top after that I thought you got to the top you can get to the finish! I’m pleased to say I ran it all!! Down past the Waterfront all, along the River lagan, up the Ormeau road, down the Ravenhill road and around the Ormeau park to the finish. I enjoyed running along and looking at peoples t-shirts to see who they were running for and running for Tearfund this year we all wore the same t-shirts, people knew who were running for and cheered us on. Also Rachel got sun burnt- So not only am I today in much physical pain my face is bright red! For some it may have been a simple 5 mile run but for me was like running the whole marathon.

Dave Dunlop and Gary Harpur can not go unmentioned who with no intention on arriving at the starting line to run in the rely ran the entire marathon. If I’m in this much pain they must not be able to move! Well done to you both great achievement.

Had lunch/mid afternoon food at the Browns after the marathon for some banter, home for a bath and a rest then was at a very pleasant bbq at Lyndsey Andersons- she appeared to be the hostess with the mostess. Before heading to say hello to my BFG Claire who was away for the weekend and good bye to my BFG Emma who was only home for the weekend. Overall a good day and worth the pain. Maybe next year I’ll tackle a 6 mile leg!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home