Monday, September 19, 2005

Moldovan Thoughts...


Got back from Moldova late on Saturday night. No words can describe the time we had. I have nothing negative to say about the trip. Moldova is so similar yet so different from Ukraine. Moldova is full of hills, forests, valleys and lakes where as Ukraine is vastly flat. In Moldova one minute it looked like you were driving down dirt tracks in Africa the next minute driving through Italy as Moldova is covered in Vineyards, Moldova would not have as many built up areas as Ukraine and the roads would be worse. It was also great to go and experience somewhere new and to not be so familiar with everything and everyone. The team was amazing in all ways it was so good to be part of a small team and not to be worrying about and checking up on 46 other people. They all got stuck in and the craic was mighty- the laughter was much! We left Northern Ireland the Moldova 6 and became the Moldova 8 Yura and Eugenia stayed with us for the full week in a way they made the trip they were so much fun and had such a heart for their country great people and great new friends [Yura was cool when he spoke english he had a Northern Ireland accent!] The 8 of us drove around all week in a blue mini van which we nick named the miracle machine due to the roads it took us along. The kids we were working with would break your heart I had not seen as much poverty before the kids literally had nothing. They either lived on the streets or came from very poor families and/or their parents were alcoholics. Let me tell you one story about the kids- We arrived at one day centre and were told a lot of the kids had head lice which to be honest I freaked at and didn’t let the kids near me… and these kids were just crying out for love and attention but I would barely let them come near me. [Don’t worry the team is lice free we had daily inspections!] but as I watched the kids cry as they left us- I felt so guilty for not loving them as I watched them walk home to dear knows what situations. Thank fully God gave me a second chance on Friday we arrived at a day centre and the kids all had chicken pox which I had already had but apparently it can give you shingles. This wee girl of about 1 and 1/2. Came to me and wanted me to pick her up then wanted a kiss and I just fell in love with her she was covered in chicken pox with sweat lashing but she was so cute, I played with her for hours blew bubbles as she laughed and tried to burst them. At one point she took my hand and took me for a walk “walka walka” she would say. At the end of the day I watched her walk down a dirty beaten track home with a girl of about 5 walking her home – I’ll never forget her. I’d also like to just say from my previous post that its definitely not a Ukraine thing its teams all the way… I loved it. I thought at one point I was now torn between the two countries but a wise person told me your hearts not torn its just bigger!
Some team quotes:
"There’s nothing like a good smelling man!"
"I’ll give you a bar of chocolate if you eat…"
"Oh my actually goodness"
"Would you like to see my puppet show?"
"Are we going up that hill?"
"Your lying!"
Here’s to accidentally kicking Heather in the stomach, getting searched by the police, going to the Romanian border, all the grapes, Trish’s Russian word association, peel banana, eating rabbit and to my little star- Olya. This Moldovan report will be continued… this is getting long.

1 Comments:

At September 20, 2005 6:10 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

You must tell me how you do multiple photo's.... tell you what when you get a mo send me an e-mail...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home