Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Ukraine 8- another one bites the dust:

We arrived back from Ukraine on Saturday night past. It was a good 2 weeks but was also probably the toughest I’ve had since my first year of everything being so new and different. Tough in a way that it challenged me and I think it grew me and shaped my character and leadership more than past trips. But even though it was tougher the craic was mighty and there are many a funny story. I loved the kids this year I learned how amazing it is to help make a kid feel special and accepted and how it can change their whole out look on camp (or whatever the situation it may be) and to watch their confidence grow through it. Especially one wee kid called Oleg- he got shouted at by a Ukrainian for no reason he got upset and completely closed himself down, I invited him to play with a rugby ball and after he caught his first pass his entire face lit up after that he was set for the week- he’s class! Here’s to Oleg, coco butter, Cock- A- Roach, Pastor Borris wanting to pee on Nevins knee, would you rather…?, discovering a love for bananas, the continuous lashings of sweat!, finally getting to see the Dynamo Kiev stadium, coverage, "Do you ever stretch your eyes?" Mike's facical expressions, freaking out in my sleep, “Your face looks like the back of a shovel”, Team times, “Just because your in my eye line”, late night chats, “Suck it up and get on with it!”, high five's, washing our hair with a hose pipe, too much food, vortex, it being way too hot, Our God is an awesome God, little mo, ice, the air hostess giving an 'I can’t be bothered' safety instructions, Dancing to I would walk 500 miles, Ratty’s woman’s bikini bottoms, PROPER!, nap time, wee fat mess, ta ta’s, “A small child in craft today fell on her head, fell on her head today, and there was crying lots of crying a small child in craft today fell in her head!”, discovering the toilet has a flush, the neighbours fighting, lying in a heap on Amsterdam airport floor feeling rougher than I’ve ever felt in as long as I can remember, getting everyone home in one piece and to the craic and laughter of it all.

1 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 12:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww I miss it!! Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home